Sunday, February 24, 2013

will you look at that!

Once again, the theory that you can't teach an old dog new tricks has been refuted.  Because this girl has learned how to use her sewing machine for embroidery!


This is what I hope to accomplish, however, I might edit it down to the wallhanging size.  It is the HoopSisters Feathered Star Embroiderablock of the Month.  My fabric choices are much different than the picture below--

I have had the embroidery feature attachments for about a year, and took some classes from my fine friends at Bear Patch Sewing Center.  But I never made it a priority to continue learning and practicing, and this is something that does take a different focus than the sewing and quilting that I have done up until this time.  I will let you know how it goes.  So far, I have needed a lot of coaching from the machine embroidery pros at the store.  And this week I get to participate in a retreat for just this type of project, so here's hoping that I get some of these stars put together!

Yesterday I mixed up a batch of guacamole for a little appetizer for Bob's birthday dinner, and it turned out so tasty that I thought I should share it with you.  It is based on directions from 2007 Cook's Country magazine:


2 green onions, sliced thinly, green and white parts included
a portion of a jalepeno pepper, we don't like it real hot so I use about 1/6th of the pepper
1 small garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoon juice from 1 lime plus 1/4 teaspoon finely grated zest
2 avocados, pitted, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
salt to taste
Combine the onions, pepper, garlic and lime juice in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes.  Add one of the avocados and mash all together until smooth.  Add the rest of the avocado but don't mash it.  Add the lime zest, cilantro and salt.  Serve with chips.

Speaking of food, this quilt is called Cranberry Chutney by Madison Cottage Designs.  I am quilting it for a customer, and I really like it.  I am doing randomly spaced straight lines in a grid.



So finally, we are having an important first birthday coming up in about a week.  So yesterday the little guy got to visit the grands, and since I was baking cupcakes for Grandpa's birthday, we thought he needed a little practice to prepare him for the monumental first birthday cake smash in the face party.  Do you think his mommy could tell that he had sampled anything??

1 comment:

MissesStitches said...

I think Ian liked the cupcake!