Saturday, February 13, 2016

I'm a good starter!

My biggest downfall with my sewing and quilting and crafting is that I'm always very good at starting things, but not so good at finishing!  
I've been trying to stick with this project so it doesn't linger unfinished forever and ever.  I started it last summer, following Sue Daley's sew-along and this is as far as I've gone.  Her finished piece is much larger, lots more ambitious than I'm feeling, so I might just end mine without all of the graduated rows surrounding the center star.  This is all handwork, and not quick to do, so it takes me a bit of time to accomplish much.  Some evenings I watch a show or 2 on TV, and stitch these little guys together.  And I do like being able to do this handwork.


There's another new English paper piecing project calling my name, and it is called--


This is a bed quilt size, full of interesting pieces.  It comes from the blocks in this book--


It's a monthly sew-along organized by Paper Pieces, so they send out monthly installments of the papers needed for a required number of blocks.  Some of the blocks are real easy, they are made from just one piece of fabric, so I'm already doing some of those!


Each of the straight edges of these hexagons is 3", to give you an idea of the scale.  The picture at the top of the page uses 1" hexies.  Many of the other blocks are made of several pieces fit together to make a 3" hexie, and they have names!

I'm not going to be up-to-date on the monthly assignments for this project, but I'm happy with collecting and gathering here and there, until I get that other project at the top of the page done!  I'm forcing myself to not give up on the unfinished project, but I am still putzing around with picking fabrics and even cutting some pieces for the new one.  Here are some little bags I made up for 6 of the new blocks--


As you can see, my talent lies with starting!


2 comments:

MissesStitches said...

Maybe it's genetic, Pam! I also tend to start a lot more projects than I finish. It's too easy for me to get distracted by something new that I want to start. Oy!

MOM said...

Now you have me hooked. Turning out groups of 7 - - but I don't know what to do with them yet. What will they turn out to be?